Big Y Nano Nymph Rod

All of us who spend time with a fly rod in our hand, over the years develop what might be called if not affection, at least pleasant famil...


All of us who spend time with a fly rod in our hand, over the years develop what might be called if not affection, at least pleasant familiarity.  We come to rely on them, we come to think of them as our partner in pursuit of fish, a perfect cast, or just solitude.  After a long hiatus from the water, that first cast with our familiar fly rod is like a reunion with an old friend, that understands what it is we are standing here to do.                                                    

That is exactly how I felt when I first cast what was to become our Big Y Nano Nymph Rod.  The final version that we are selling, just feels right, a rod to rely on.  I call it 10 feet of nymphing perfection for a reason.  I just love to fish it, and fish it I have, a lot.  Fish I have caught with it, a lot, including countless incidental steelhead this past summer.  Which of course, enhances my affection, but is hardly the reason. 

I am not, nor will I ever be a competitive fly fisher.  But I have spent my fair share of time nymphing.  Always has been my favorite form of fly fishing, unless the top water action is too good to refuse, I find the sub-surface fish more challenging and the surprise of the hook up with a fish I wasn’t sure was even there is exhilarating.  I find the whole Czech-Euro nymphing an improvement by simplification.  The direct connection to the fish without indicators and weights is purer.

Enter the nymph rod project.  I had some issues with the rods out there.  Personally, I found any rod over 10’ too unwieldy, too much rod for the purpose.  The end of   It just seemed to me a tighter rod at 10’ would deliver the line with more precision and momentum so I could get the fly further than a longer rod that needed a second to still itself after the fling of the flies.  A little stiffer backbone was just the ticket, the line and the rod worked as one to increase control, precision, mending if necessary was immediate not after the waggle stop, each cast I had a split second longer control and fishing time. And that makes a difference; your fly sinks faster, you are fishing as soon as your fly hits the water, all the way through the run.  The shorter rod allows for quick pick up and recast. 
the rod waggle was inefficient and a personal pet peeve, all the unnecessary side to side tip spasms were a bummer.

But the tip; ahh that tip.  Hours I have spent fishing one run repeatedly, switching rods testing the tip the feel, the hook up.  Fish the run, go back upstream change rods, fish the run.  There are worse ways to spend a day or in this case a few months.  All about that hook up, that feel, that instinct one develops to set that hook.  All the triggers that go into that moment, the hookset, one cannot explain, I have never used sighters, just instinct, but what I do know, is hooking up with the Big Y Nano Nymph Rod is a joyous event.  And for me personally, it happened a lot.  All aspects of nymphing were joyous with this one rod, it just flat out fished better, easier, more controlled, more pleasant, and caught more fish.  The cast, set, the hook up, release, the cast, set, the hook up, the release, it was like a mantra. One can’t wait to get back out there and repeat.

COMMENTS

Name

Big Y News Book Review Fishing Flies Fly Fishing Education Fly Reels Fly Rods Fly Tying Gear Reviews Hot Flies ICAST Ice Fishing Jigs Lifestyle Lines Leaders and Tippet New Fly Patterns New Products On the Water Photos of the Month Random Thoughts Spey Central Trade Shows Videos Where the Fish Are
false
ltr
item
Big Y Fly Co Blog: Big Y Nano Nymph Rod
Big Y Nano Nymph Rod
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEgk2oHNi9uT6UpH2fwoTKR4B9I1tToiF70sOX5y20sGqUecCkRG_XUGLkTVJkuxmN6DBxAeJRpgxB-KOAo-To9tHjXIt8XzSH4KePZJbV0d6H6K9CcUAUMIX5QaIZUIbYcZ2_UOMufkRPM/s200/nano-nymph-on-d.jpg
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEgk2oHNi9uT6UpH2fwoTKR4B9I1tToiF70sOX5y20sGqUecCkRG_XUGLkTVJkuxmN6DBxAeJRpgxB-KOAo-To9tHjXIt8XzSH4KePZJbV0d6H6K9CcUAUMIX5QaIZUIbYcZ2_UOMufkRPM/s72-c/nano-nymph-on-d.jpg
Big Y Fly Co Blog
https://bigyflyco.blogspot.com/2019/12/big-y-nano-nymph-rod.html
https://bigyflyco.blogspot.com/
http://bigyflyco.blogspot.com/
http://bigyflyco.blogspot.com/2019/12/big-y-nano-nymph-rod.html
true
7755044063878238325
UTF-8
Not found any posts VIEW ALL Readmore Reply Cancel reply Delete By Home PAGES POSTS View All RECOMMENDED FOR YOU LABEL ARCHIVE SEARCH ALL POSTS Not found any post match with your request Back Home Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat January February March April May June July August September October November December Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec just now 1 minute ago $$1$$ minutes ago 1 hour ago $$1$$ hours ago Yesterday $$1$$ days ago $$1$$ weeks ago more than 5 weeks ago Followers Follow THIS CONTENT IS PREMIUM Please share to unlock Copy All Code Select All Code All codes were copied to your clipboard Can not copy the codes / texts, please press [CTRL]+[C] (or CMD+C with Mac) to copy