Embrace the Skunk

Embrace the Skunk! Anglers are lucky here in Oregon, in that we can choose to target Steelhead, or not. Some anglers will only target S...

Embrace the Skunk!


Anglers are lucky here in Oregon, in that we can choose to target Steelhead, or not. Some anglers will only target Steelhead, others will only target trout. Here at Big Y, we enjoy fishing for both, among other species too. For us, we feel that fishing for both Steelhead and trout, helps keep our options wide open, for the entire calendar year. But, just because we work at a fly shop, doesn't mean we're always catching slabs. Believe it or not, we still get skunked!

I used to think trout fishing was hard; But then I started to target Steelhead. It takes a certain level of commitment to put a Steelhead in the net, these days. It takes patience, persistence. and yes, the willingness to get skunked. Rarely do I hook-into, and land a Steelhead. For one, it's pretty hard to get a tug on the swing. And two, the sheer number of Steelhead running is down these days, unfortunately. I have caught a few over the years, nymphing, but I am still looking for that elusive grab on the swing. Luckily, spey casting is still new enough to me that I've got lots of room to improve. So each time out (skunk or not), I can simply enjoy casting. But whether or not you're catching chromers, I encourage you to stay hungry! Yes, it is tough to catch a Steelhead, but the more you try, the better your odds (obviously). It is very important to stay optimistic. If you start to believe that you won't catch a fish, you're probably right. So try to stay positive, and remember: You can't hit a home run if you don't swing.

Fishing for Steelhead has giving me a fresh new outlook on trout: Trout fishing is pretty easy, comparatively! When I really need a tug, like after getting skunked the past few days Steelheading, for example, then I'll happily target some trout. Trout fishing is fun, and frankly the odds of putting one in the net, are a lot better.

What I've realized about trout, is that I like "smart" trout. Spring-fed waters might be my favorite to fish. I love sight-fishing, and sight fishing goes hand-in-hand with clear water. Usually the clearer the water, the more selective the trout are, on what they're eating. The challenge of clear water is something I embrace, though! I enjoy getting refused over and over (and watching it happen). There's something special about when a fish rises to within inches from your fly, only to reject it. I like having to let the water rest. And having to change flies over and over again. Perhaps changing colors or sizes, or changing patterns all together.

I like dry fly fishing, just like everybody else. But I also enjoy nymphing. Sure, you don't get the pleasure of watching the eat happen, but it's the easiest way to catch fish. I'm not above fishing an indicator, but I've become pretty fond of euro nymphing (especially on my favorite Spring-fed River here in Oregon, where you can watch them eat, as far as 15 feet down!). In these deep, slow, clear pools, one can watch and observe trout and their natural behavior. Another thing to consider, is that if you can see fish, they can most likely see you. So being stealthy and moving slowly is important.

I don't really know why, but something about picky trout, keeps me coming back. I'm at a point where I don't need to catch a lot of fish. I'd rather catch a smart fish, even if it means trying for an hour or more. I enjoy the challenge. And if I don't catch anything, big deal.. Perhaps this John F Kennedy quote applies here: "We do things not because they're easy, we do them because they're hard".

I'm not ashamed of getting skunked. The places I fish can be challenging, so whether I'm targeting Trout or Steelhead, I still get skunked. There's no shame in that, for me, mostly because I'm not fishing for anybody else, but me. If I'm okay getting skunked, who cares what anybody else says? I think it's important to remember that Fly Fishing is personal.We each have our own tendencies and styles: "Different strokes for Different folks". One thing's for sure though: If you don't get skunked every now and then, it wouldn't be fly fishing. 







Nikolai Sposato
-Did you catch my drift?
















COMMENTS

Name

Big Y News Book Review Fishing Flies Fly Fishing Education Fly Reels Fly Rods Fly Tying Gear Reviews Hot Flies ICAST Ice Fishing Jigs Lifestyle Lines Leaders and Tippet New Fly Patterns New Products On the Water Photos of the Month Random Thoughts Spey Central Trade Shows Videos Where the Fish Are
false
ltr
item
Big Y Fly Co Blog: Embrace the Skunk
Embrace the Skunk
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEgPu_Jxh_cDu58c2WhDvm9nREqfQ2OXOMFUlG3JJcqZMnOFzzR2GhK684n03sPsT_F58h31OBYTpIyTXtS3NHmjm0FqRiOGdFIqloQdQ30ZrAaiRzEkkRrFv554Wceg-8lkU9A6rpn-9pI/s320/metoliusDrake.jpg
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEgPu_Jxh_cDu58c2WhDvm9nREqfQ2OXOMFUlG3JJcqZMnOFzzR2GhK684n03sPsT_F58h31OBYTpIyTXtS3NHmjm0FqRiOGdFIqloQdQ30ZrAaiRzEkkRrFv554Wceg-8lkU9A6rpn-9pI/s72-c/metoliusDrake.jpg
Big Y Fly Co Blog
https://bigyflyco.blogspot.com/2018/11/embrace-skunk.html
https://bigyflyco.blogspot.com/
http://bigyflyco.blogspot.com/
http://bigyflyco.blogspot.com/2018/11/embrace-skunk.html
true
7755044063878238325
UTF-8
Not found any posts VIEW ALL Readmore Reply Cancel reply Delete By Home PAGES POSTS View All RECOMMENDED FOR YOU LABEL ARCHIVE SEARCH ALL POSTS Not found any post match with your request Back Home Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat January February March April May June July August September October November December Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec just now 1 minute ago $$1$$ minutes ago 1 hour ago $$1$$ hours ago Yesterday $$1$$ days ago $$1$$ weeks ago more than 5 weeks ago Followers Follow THIS CONTENT IS PREMIUM Please share to unlock Copy All Code Select All Code All codes were copied to your clipboard Can not copy the codes / texts, please press [CTRL]+[C] (or CMD+C with Mac) to copy