What Flies are We Fishing - October 2018

Andrew Fall trout fishing is fantastic just about everywhere, but I find the Yakima River in central Washington to be one of my favorit...



Andrew
Fall trout fishing is fantastic just about everywhere, but I find the Yakima River in central Washington to be one of my favorites.   While anglers tend to focus on steelhead in October, the October caddis hatches can be phenomenal on this blue ribbon stream.  I hope to make the 2 hour drive a time or two in the next month, but I do have a newborn, which makes fishing a little more difficult than it used to be.

We should have loads of Caddis hatching all month, as well as some Mahogany Duns, and Blue Wing Olives when it really cools down.   There are several types of caddis that we will run into.  Big #6-8 orange caddis, and smaller #12-16 gray or tan caddis.  The nymphs can be bright chartreuse/green on some small ones and tan or brown on the others, while the larger orange caddis have an orange nymph.  Streamer fishing is also a great option, but I like that more in November.

Here is what I take to the Yak in Ocotober

MAHOGANY
Purple Haze
Parachute Pheasant Tail
BH Flashback Pheasant Tail - Curved Hook
BH Flashback Hare's Ear

CADDIS
Elk Hair Caddis - Tan/Gray/Orange
October Caddis
BH Caddis Pupa (Tan or Green)
BH Breadcrust
Vinyl Rib Caddis
October Caddis Pupa
Electric Caddis
BH Copper John (Chartreuse)

BLUE WING OLIVE
Blue Wing Olive
BWO Quill Body
Parachute BWO
BH Barr's BWO Emerger
BH Atomic Pheasant Tail (#20)



Cameron--

It is road trip time for me, when I go explore new rivers with frankly as little info as possible, other than maybe a couple of destinations in mind.  This year we will be heading up to Northern Washington with the first stop being trout fishing on the Methow River, with the season ending 9/30, I will be hitting the water with just one or two days left.  I purposely do not read reports or hatch charts for this annual trip so I will be reading the water and going from there.  If I happen to stumble upon a fly shop I wander in to get some local intel.

From there we are heading east with an idea about maybe swinging some flies on the Upper Columbia for monster trout, but knowing little to nothing about it, and envisioning needing a guide or at least a boat, we might just keep moving into Northern Montana, with eyes on the Kootenai and the Flathead.  And anything else we stumble upon while exploring.

We will be packing several fly boxes with general nymphs, including Pat's Rubber Legs, Copper Johns and Pheasant Tails.  And some dries including Purple Haze, PMD's, BWO's, and of course Parachute Adams.  Some favorite trout streamers include Black Woolly Buggers, BH Aggravator, and some Sculpins for good measure.



Joe:

Well everyone will be swinging around the Pacific Northwest, and I have decided to squeeze in the early season on Brown Town in the Cascade Region of Oregon before certain sections close down until next spring. Check your Regs!!! I have some spots that I'll focus my attention on, and will mainly be throwing streamers for these aggressive creatures.

Flies that I have had success on, and am confident they will be successful for you as well. Colors vary from location to location but they will mostly consist of olive, brown, and black. Be sure to have fun, and send up any photos of your fishy friends!!!!

Sculpinator
Bunny Sculpin
Conehead Wooly Bugger Rubber Legs
Beadhead ESL
Near Nuff Sculpin
Muddy Buddy


Ben:

Ah October, when you start realizing you haven't quite caught as many fish as you would of liked for the year and better get cracking before its too cold. I will be doing some local fishing on my days off, mostly on the Deschutes, swinging for those pesky steelhead that never seem to be around when I am. But what I am really excited for is a trip to Orlando, FL. My son is at that Disney age and I made sure to include a couple extra days in our trip for some fishing after we see good ole Mickey Mouse.

I will be heading to Mosquito Lagoon for a couple of days (made sure not to reveal the name to my wife and keep the details of alligators and marshes as limited as possible). Redfish and Speckled Trout should be in and if I hit the weather right the water could be in great shape. I have gotten myself a map (Top Spot which I highly suggest) and done some preliminary research on fly selection. I plan on taking crustacean and baitfish/mullet patterns including but not limited to:

Salt Shrimp, Bonefish Critter, Half N Half, Clouser Minnows, Lefty Deceivers, Change Maker, Mantis Shrimp, Flash Side Minnow, and Sand Shrimp Streamer. I am not expecting much, heck even a small speckled trout would be considered a victory in my book. However, I do plan on stopping by a local fly shop to get some info, a few hot patterns, and hopefully cut down on the learning curve a bit. 


COMMENTS

Name

Big Y News Book Review Fishing Flies Fly Fishing Education Fly Reels Fly Rods Fly Tying Gear Reviews Hot Flies ICAST Ice Fishing Jigs Lifestyle Lines Leaders and Tippet New Fly Patterns New Products On the Water Photos of the Month Random Thoughts Spey Central Trade Shows Videos Where the Fish Are
false
ltr
item
Big Y Fly Co Blog: What Flies are We Fishing - October 2018
What Flies are We Fishing - October 2018
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjfEK79qP-sykMXoHWvcQf5aD-ZXkJufY79WO437VmPlDMzuV-Lsk9zSDqSiJX-Nj1a_FKCoj7dFhwtoQIe02d5NnULQIKeWcgv6Ed9-XtDzYRlNGnp4wOcKBdszHHG2nBo5L4YcSlxXnY/s320/egg_sucking_leech_black_chart_large.jpg
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjfEK79qP-sykMXoHWvcQf5aD-ZXkJufY79WO437VmPlDMzuV-Lsk9zSDqSiJX-Nj1a_FKCoj7dFhwtoQIe02d5NnULQIKeWcgv6Ed9-XtDzYRlNGnp4wOcKBdszHHG2nBo5L4YcSlxXnY/s72-c/egg_sucking_leech_black_chart_large.jpg
Big Y Fly Co Blog
https://bigyflyco.blogspot.com/2018/10/what-flies-are-we-fishing-october-2018.html
https://bigyflyco.blogspot.com/
http://bigyflyco.blogspot.com/
http://bigyflyco.blogspot.com/2018/10/what-flies-are-we-fishing-october-2018.html
true
7755044063878238325
UTF-8
Not found any posts VIEW ALL Readmore Reply Cancel reply Delete By Home PAGES POSTS View All RECOMMENDED FOR YOU LABEL ARCHIVE SEARCH ALL POSTS Not found any post match with your request Back Home Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat January February March April May June July August September October November December Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec just now 1 minute ago $$1$$ minutes ago 1 hour ago $$1$$ hours ago Yesterday $$1$$ days ago $$1$$ weeks ago more than 5 weeks ago Followers Follow THIS CONTENT IS PREMIUM Please share to unlock Copy All Code Select All Code All codes were copied to your clipboard Can not copy the codes / texts, please press [CTRL]+[C] (or CMD+C with Mac) to copy