What Flies Are We Fishing? July Edition

Here are some of the flies we are going to be fishing this month: Andrew Sexy Hex I have my eyes on a couple of mountain lakes wit...

Here are some of the flies we are going to be fishing this month:

Andrew

Sexy Hex
I have my eyes on a couple of mountain lakes with some big Hex hatches.  The trout go nuts up there right at dark and well into the night.  Nothing like fishing under the stars on a moonlit night!  Exact locations are secret, but there are quite a few around that have "the hatch".  You can fish at night in Washington, but not Oregon...

Hex Nymph:  For afternoon and evening, until the hatch starts at sunset

Carey Special
Sexy Hex (by Solitude):  This fly glows in the dark, so it is easier to see, plus things that glow in the dark are just fun.

Carey Special (Peacock Color):  Because those fish love to munch on Damsel Nymphs during the day, and I can't wait until evening to fish!

Callibaetis Cripple:  There is often a nice callibaetis hatch in the mornings or afternoon, and we must be prepared!




Joe


Purple Haze
The Lower Deschutes has literally been on fire lately, and so has the Caddis hatch! Get out there to see what the buzz is all about! Be safe out there on the water and be sure to report any fires! All the Best!

BH Caddis Pupa Green Sizes 16-18:  A killer fly that works well all summer, and you can swing it as a trailer fly when fishing for steelhead and pick up some nice trout (and maybe a chromer)


BH Electric Caddis
Purple Haze size 16-20:  The little dry fly that could... It seems to work when nothing else will

Parachute PMD - 16-20 Pale Green and Pale Yellow:  The early morning PMD hatch can be fantastic this time of year.

Electric Caddis BH - 18:  A sweet little caddis pattern that rocks my socks.





Ben


Coal Car
I have been working on my house lately, so have not had as much time to spend on the water as I would like. That being said I will running back to the good ole Klickitat River.  It's an easy 45ish minute drive from my house, and I can float it or walk and wade it.  I will be spending some time behind my trusty Beulah Platinum, and some time throwing a Scandi head to help with a more subtle approach. Flies I will be using are as follows:


Fly Du Jour
Steelhead Muddler (size 4-6): An oldie but a goodie. Swings nicely on the surface, as does well subsurface.

Green Butt Skunk (4-6): The iconic traditional steelhead pattern that almost gets laughed at nowadays, but hey, its still known for producing fish.


Fly De Jour (4-6): For when some purple strikes the mood.  Additionally, this fly is extremely eye catching, great for rivers that are off color.

Coal Car (2-4): For when I want a fly that will give off a bigger silhouette, but not to big as to make summer fish skiddish. 


Cameron

Elk Hair Caddis
Heading out to Montana for a few days and pretty much following Rob's advice as he has lived there, worked there and fished there a lot.  The plan is to hit Rock Creek, the Big Hole and the Stimulators, which also double for great searching pattern even if we miss the hatch, or while fishing rivers that the hatch isn't on.  Elk Hair Caddis of course, the do everything summer bug for me personally, followed closely by another one of my summer favorites the Parachute PMD.   Also throwing some Yellow Sallies in my box.  And some good old BH Nymphs, BH Copper John Red, BH Lightning Bug, and for good measure some BH Scuds.
Stimulator - another classic

Madison, but we are leaving it open seeing which way it goes once we get there.  We have heard the salmonfly hatch is on the Madison, so going to take some


 

Nikolai 


Soft Hackle Crayfish Bugger
I'm hoping to head out to some lakes in the Mt Hood area this month. I'd like and try to catch a Hex Hatch. So I'll be prepared with Hex Paradrakes, and Hex Spinners. When the dry fly fishing isn't happening, I'll try (going deep with) streamers: I'll be ready with Soft Hackle Crayfish Buggers, and Thin Mints (my secret weapon). I like stripping / trolling streamers in lakes because there's (arguably) no wrong way to do it.


Renegade
One of these days I'm going to take the short hike into Rainy Lake, because there's hungry brookies in there! I've had luck with ant patterns in the past, so I'll be ready with those. Some other dry flies I'll have ready are the Purple Haze and Renegades.

I'm excited to leave the waders at home and break out the sun hat. Fishing the Mountain Lakes in our area is a great way to beat the heat. If the fishing is slow, just dive in and cool off !

 

Rob

                                                       
Pultz Popper

 July is another month where there is a lot going on. Steelhead will be starting to show in fishable numbers on our local streams, Caddis hatches  on the Deschutes are picking up creating good all day long dry fly fishing and Smallmouth in the Columbia are starting to hit top water flies aggressively.






X-Caddis
For the steelhead I'll be  fishing muddlers and  Skunks  . When the water is clear i'll fish them in small sizes and when it's dirty or the water is deeper I'll be fishing them as large as 2.  For the trout I'll be fishing elk hair caddis almost exclusively, though the X-caddis and Goddard caddis also works well. In the evenings if fish are rising but won't take the elk hair I'll be swinging a March Brown Spider as a caddis emerger.  For the top water smallmouth I'll be loading up the 8 wt and fishing larger flies like the to fish larger patterns like the Pultz popper and the Pultz pencil popper.  The white deer hair popper would be another good choice, If the wind isn;t conducive to top water fishing the Baitfish pattern is also great







COMMENTS

Name

Big Y News Book Review Fishing Flies Fly Fishing Education Fly Reels Fly Rods Fly Tying Gear Reviews Hot Flies ICAST Ice Fishing Jigs Lifestyle Lines Leaders and Tippet New Fly Patterns New Products On the Water Photos of the Month Random Thoughts Spey Central Trade Shows Videos Where the Fish Are
false
ltr
item
Big Y Fly Co Blog: What Flies Are We Fishing? July Edition
What Flies Are We Fishing? July Edition
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjPtrABoq7NoTei8rD1H6qIRWdJQ5zx__ppWJaDu1U5tp5Iv_XPecpP_o7Pvv0ZR9qV3F_GMq-8PPnDK7v1xidjuJ9TSeJKHtAIa_8q92lld8fOXWd-FyPsdVy-eWNU18cwrT_QuL9Y3OQ/s200/Hex_Nymph.jpg
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjPtrABoq7NoTei8rD1H6qIRWdJQ5zx__ppWJaDu1U5tp5Iv_XPecpP_o7Pvv0ZR9qV3F_GMq-8PPnDK7v1xidjuJ9TSeJKHtAIa_8q92lld8fOXWd-FyPsdVy-eWNU18cwrT_QuL9Y3OQ/s72-c/Hex_Nymph.jpg
Big Y Fly Co Blog
https://bigyflyco.blogspot.com/2018/07/what-flies-are-we-fishing-july-edition.html
https://bigyflyco.blogspot.com/
http://bigyflyco.blogspot.com/
http://bigyflyco.blogspot.com/2018/07/what-flies-are-we-fishing-july-edition.html
true
7755044063878238325
UTF-8
Not found any posts VIEW ALL Readmore Reply Cancel reply Delete By Home PAGES POSTS View All RECOMMENDED FOR YOU LABEL ARCHIVE SEARCH ALL POSTS Not found any post match with your request Back Home Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat January February March April May June July August September October November December Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec just now 1 minute ago $$1$$ minutes ago 1 hour ago $$1$$ hours ago Yesterday $$1$$ days ago $$1$$ weeks ago more than 5 weeks ago Followers Follow THIS CONTENT IS PREMIUM Please share to unlock Copy All Code Select All Code All codes were copied to your clipboard Can not copy the codes / texts, please press [CTRL]+[C] (or CMD+C with Mac) to copy