What are Guard Socks and Do I Really Need Them?

It's summer time and that means wet wading!  Most of us look forward to this time of year all winter and spring.  It is finally warm ...


It's summer time and that means wet wading!  Most of us look forward to this time of year all winter and spring.  It is finally warm enough to feel comfortable wading all day in an icy cold river.  Now, we don't all participate in this ritual.  Some folks don't like being wet, and the cold water bothers others.  Some anglers just feel more comfortable wearing waders, and some just don't like wading with improper footwear.

Hodgman Neoprene Guard Sock
I love wet wading, but when I moved to Oregon, I quickly found out how treacherous the Deschutes River can be. If  you have never been there, it is  hard to describe the conditions that occur there, especially in the lower 20 miles of river.  Flat basalt ledges underwater become slick as oil, and just as you are getting comfortable slowly working down this greasy ledge, there is a hole with no bottom, and boom, you are underwater.  I figure that if you can fish two days in the lower river without taking a swim,  you are not fishing hard.  I don't think I have ever fished Hot Rocks (one of my favorite runs) without swimming, usually before I can even get out to the starting spot.

So in come Guard SocksWhat are they?  Guard socks are Neoprene socks that fit under wading boots so that you can still wear those boots and have the right amount of wiggle room for your feet.  They fill out that space just like your waders do, plus they help keep your feet warm in that icy cold river.  They are not waterproof, your feet will still get wet.

Korkers I-Drain Guard Sock
Why would I want to wear them?  Well, because your wading boots likely have far better river traction than your sandals or old tennis shoes.  I have nightmares about having to wade in the Lower Deschutes without studded felt boots, but I also hate wearing waders when it is hot, and the Deschutes gets hot. So I wear guard socks, and I only fall in a couple of times a day.

Hodgman makes a couple of nice pairs of guard socks.   Their Airprene Guard Socks have raised ridges to allow for faster drainage and quicker drying.  Their Neoprene Guard Socks are the same basic product, but are 2 inches shorter on the calf and don't have the fancy "airprene" design, so they don't dry quite as quickly. 

Korkers also offers an I-Drain Neoprene Sock that is perfect for those wet wading days.  Just like the Hodgmans, Korkers offers anatomically correct feet (they are the right shape to be comfortable), as well as built in gravel guards so that you don't get gravel in your boots.  Gravel in my sandals is one of my least favorite things.
Hodgman Airprene Sock, 2 inches longer and quick drying

What do I wear under them?  You can go with nothing, but neoprene on bare skin is the equivalent of nails on a chalkboard.  When neoprene rubs on skin, even from basic motions, it can cause rashes and irritation.  I once had a job where I sized people for wetsuits for whitewater trips.  We usually recommended going buck under those suits, but we only had a two hour trip.  Bare skin is fine for an hour or two, but prolonged exposure over a whole day is when things can get a little raw.  I have some synthetic athletic socks that I prefer to wear.  They are quick drying and comfy.  I have worn wool socks as well with success, but those seem to not hold up as well when wet all day.  Just avoid cotton.  The old saying is "cotton is rotten" when it comes to staying comfy on the river.  That goes for anything that might get wet, keep the cotton at home.  It stays wet, gets heavy and is generally uncomfortable when wet.

Guard socks are becoming a valuable tool in the angler's arsenal to help keep them comfortable on the river when it is hot out.  Pick up a pair to day and improve your game!

We hope that you get out on the river, whether  you are wet wading or not.  If you have any questions, please feel free to give us a call or send us an email. 



Andrew Perrault
-Fishing, usually not catching

COMMENTS

Name

Big Y News Book Review Fishing Flies Fly Fishing Education Fly Reels Fly Rods Fly Tying Gear Reviews Hot Flies ICAST Ice Fishing Jigs Lifestyle Lines Leaders and Tippet New Fly Patterns New Products On the Water Photos of the Month Random Thoughts Spey Central Trade Shows Videos Where the Fish Are
false
ltr
item
Big Y Fly Co Blog: What are Guard Socks and Do I Really Need Them?
What are Guard Socks and Do I Really Need Them?
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjnWxcb3Y9t3ORqHSVb_AaIWbhxxzw7-zXet2WmJexiWPim-W3_RDZksnXUguMKACCBuIzxYwBzZX5d3ozUEGnnWz9WTzxuS7V0NNXxfcjlVM63V3OTdOpBIG8ueF0Cq5RduaqiQqWPHWg/s320/Hodgman_Airprene_Guard_SockA.jpg
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjnWxcb3Y9t3ORqHSVb_AaIWbhxxzw7-zXet2WmJexiWPim-W3_RDZksnXUguMKACCBuIzxYwBzZX5d3ozUEGnnWz9WTzxuS7V0NNXxfcjlVM63V3OTdOpBIG8ueF0Cq5RduaqiQqWPHWg/s72-c/Hodgman_Airprene_Guard_SockA.jpg
Big Y Fly Co Blog
https://bigyflyco.blogspot.com/2018/06/what-are-guard-socks-and-do-i-really.html
https://bigyflyco.blogspot.com/
http://bigyflyco.blogspot.com/
http://bigyflyco.blogspot.com/2018/06/what-are-guard-socks-and-do-i-really.html
true
7755044063878238325
UTF-8
Not found any posts VIEW ALL Readmore Reply Cancel reply Delete By Home PAGES POSTS View All RECOMMENDED FOR YOU LABEL ARCHIVE SEARCH ALL POSTS Not found any post match with your request Back Home Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat January February March April May June July August September October November December Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec just now 1 minute ago $$1$$ minutes ago 1 hour ago $$1$$ hours ago Yesterday $$1$$ days ago $$1$$ weeks ago more than 5 weeks ago Followers Follow THIS CONTENT IS PREMIUM Please share to unlock Copy All Code Select All Code All codes were copied to your clipboard Can not copy the codes / texts, please press [CTRL]+[C] (or CMD+C with Mac) to copy