That smile says it all A few years ago, I needed an adventure. I wanted less cement, and more rivers; something that took me a...
![]() |
| That smile says it all |
I packed what I could into my Red Toyota Pickup, and hit the highway. Portland to Bozeman, about 12 hours with a heavy foot. *Don't speed in the Idaho Panhandle. It felt really great to be driving out of the Columbia River Gorge, knowing I was getting out of the city, even if just for the summer.
Hubbards’s was a great fit for me: Every day was fly fishing. I talked about fly fishing all day while cooking for clients, chatting about their planned float while preparing an omelet, then circling back at the end of the day to hear about their successes. I could watch people fish the lake from the kitchen! Or better yet, I could fish the lake myself after dinner. Tugging a mouse on the edges of the lake at dusk was incredibly fun! Just imagine clocking off at work, and then catching a monster rainbow on a mouse five minutes later.
![]() |
| Yellowstone has nearly endless streams! |
To avoid being too direct, I liked to casually ask our guides where they fished, while closely examining the flies on their hat. From all the banter around the lodge, I could piece together the best place to fish on my day off. It was usually somewhere in the Park, or if I was lucky, my day off would align with a guide that was willing to take me on a float.
![]() |
| A fine example of a Yellowstone Cutthroat Trout |
I was working more than I had hoped. But whenever I possibly could, I would fish. I would get to the water on my two-hour break between lunch and dinner. On that rare day off I would fish from dawn till dusk, taking full advantage of the long days and hungry trout. Never had my 5-weight seen so much bend. It was refreshing to be fly fishing so much, and seeing myself improve.
![]() |
| Not a bad way to spend a summer |
This gig was such a great fit for me, I came back for a second summer. I wanted to work at the lodge again, but more importantly, I had some fishing to do.
After working two seasons in Montana, I can better understand WHY it's hard to find seasonal workers. I thought these jobs would be harder to land. But "Lodge Life", as we called it, was a nomadic, desolate, and uprooted lifestyle. It got old moving every six months. But was very rewarding. In my case, I made some great friends, caught some trout that I'll never forget, and left with a genuine love for the greater Yellowstone area.
If you’re in the market for adventure, and you don’t have much tying you down, it's worth a thought. There are plenty of resources on the internet to help seasonal workers find jobs. www.flyfishingjobs.com is a great resource to find a job in the fly fishing industry, seasonal or not. So if you can't stand your job, or hate the weather, or need to pay off some debt, chasing seasonal work could be for you.





