Rio Light Line - Ultimate Dry Fly Presentation

I am a line junky.  I live to know that I have the best line for the situation that I am in.  There is one line that I absolutely love to f...

I am a line junky.  I live to know that I have the best line for the situation that I am in.  There is one line that I absolutely love to fish out of all of the lines that I have, and I have a storage bin choked full of lines. 

Rio’s new LightLine is the best line I have come across for presenting dry flies.  Now I have to get into some details here.  Not all lines work well on all rods or for all scenarios.  Lets start where I would not fish this line.  

The first is big water from a boat.  Take the Madison or South Fork Snake or Clark Fork.  Those are big rivers.  I would prefer a heavier line to pick up a fly quickly and smack it into the bank.  A delicate, accurate presentation is not as important as being able to get the fly near that thing like right now!  Get out of the boat to work a riffle, give me the LightLine!!!

It's a little windy in our hometown here!
Another scenario in which I don’t like this line is in heavy wind.  Heck, I don’t really like fishing at all in heavy wind, but here in the Columbia River Gorge, we don’t get much of a choice about fishing in the wind if we want to fish at all.  Steady, 30+ mph winds are common as the kite boarders and windsurfers we can see from the shop here will attest to.  I would prefer a heavier line and rod for pushing through the big gusts that keep me cursing like a sailor.


A third scenario where the Light Line is not ideal is matching it with that ultra-fast rod that you just bought.  Matching a rod with the right line makes all the difference in the world.  You wouldn’t put mud tires on a sports car, even if they are both the best on the market.  Matching a line to the rod is critical.  It can make or break your fishing experience.  The best rod on the market will feel dead with the wrong line, but your $30 garage sale rod can bring you great joy if you get a good line on it.  Hint: that line may cost you three times what the rod did, but it will mean the difference between becoming an avid fly angler and hanging it up because you never “got” your cast to work.

So where do I like this line?  Why is it so great?  I love it when I can present smaller dry flies on smaller rivers and creeks.  It is really easy to cast, feels light and presents the most delicate of flies accurately to picky fish without having to push your rod at all.  That day that I can show up to the creek with a rod, a bottle of Gink and a handful of dry flies in the brim of my hat is my ideal day of fishing.  

I have a bunch of lines,reels and rods, and this line is by far my favorite.  But it only excels when matched with medium or slow action rods.  I have it matched up with a Redington ClassicTrout 8’ 4wt.  It works great with my Winston Boron IIIx, but it does not fish well on the faster action Sage that I have.  In fact, I was disappointed with the line and the rod when I tried them together, but once I loaded that Sage up with a heavier line it started to grow on me. I have tried it on glass rods (love it) and even had a go with it on a Sweetgrass Bamboo rod (saving my pennies for that rod).

Nymphing with the LightLine is possible, but there are better lines for that.   Even larger dries like Chubby Chernobyls and hoppers are not as easy to fish with this line as others.  When I tie on that #16 Parachute Adams, my rod sings and connects with the river exactly as I want.  If I even think that I might have to throw a nymph, I am choosing a different set up.  


There are lines that will perform better in multiple scenarios.  The Rio Grand is a great all around line for the fastest rods and especially for beginners with fast rods. It is so heavy that it practically casts itself.  The Rio Gold is less aggressive, but it is still a great all around line.  Both of those lines do just fine with nymphs, large and small dries, and can even huck a streamer a mile.  

But the LightLine kicks butt when it comes to dry fly presentation with moderate action rods, and that is how and where I love to fish.  


~Andrew Perrault
Big Y Fly Company

COMMENTS

Name

Big Y News Book Review Fishing Flies Fly Fishing Education Fly Reels Fly Rods Fly Tying Gear Reviews Hot Flies ICAST Ice Fishing Jigs Lifestyle Lines Leaders and Tippet New Fly Patterns New Products On the Water Photos of the Month Random Thoughts Spey Central Trade Shows Videos Where the Fish Are
false
ltr
item
Big Y Fly Co Blog: Rio Light Line - Ultimate Dry Fly Presentation
Rio Light Line - Ultimate Dry Fly Presentation
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEj6uOcmzr74tHg48RLK0V6lQrBnlsfzjLWQQ-zh7ajJkbPmz8CiyzKUeT3JDH9iTKqTBf2plvCkt6sE1cSX16IPaUtGE6ZU7ZbUhA-XgK1t4ZUDFrjj_Eya_rG5OBfN__-eGLylfGd8fn4/s200/3877ba2e-b78d-47c0-a70b-132279c25357.jpg
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEj6uOcmzr74tHg48RLK0V6lQrBnlsfzjLWQQ-zh7ajJkbPmz8CiyzKUeT3JDH9iTKqTBf2plvCkt6sE1cSX16IPaUtGE6ZU7ZbUhA-XgK1t4ZUDFrjj_Eya_rG5OBfN__-eGLylfGd8fn4/s72-c/3877ba2e-b78d-47c0-a70b-132279c25357.jpg
Big Y Fly Co Blog
https://bigyflyco.blogspot.com/2017/02/rio-light-line-ultimate-dry-fly.html
https://bigyflyco.blogspot.com/
http://bigyflyco.blogspot.com/
http://bigyflyco.blogspot.com/2017/02/rio-light-line-ultimate-dry-fly.html
true
7755044063878238325
UTF-8
Not found any posts VIEW ALL Readmore Reply Cancel reply Delete By Home PAGES POSTS View All RECOMMENDED FOR YOU LABEL ARCHIVE SEARCH ALL POSTS Not found any post match with your request Back Home Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat January February March April May June July August September October November December Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec just now 1 minute ago $$1$$ minutes ago 1 hour ago $$1$$ hours ago Yesterday $$1$$ days ago $$1$$ weeks ago more than 5 weeks ago Followers Follow THIS CONTENT IS PREMIUM Please share to unlock Copy All Code Select All Code All codes were copied to your clipboard Can not copy the codes / texts, please press [CTRL]+[C] (or CMD+C with Mac) to copy