The United States Postal Service saved our bacon today. We had a customer order and pay for US Express, which guarantees 48 hour delivery. F...
The United States Postal Service saved our bacon today. We had a customer order and pay for US Express, which guarantees 48 hour delivery. From our remote location it is the best deal we can offer, as Fed Ex leaves here at 9:00 am, and UPS leaves at noon, (both of which are substantially higher in price.) The USPS leaves at 4:00 giving us a whole day to pack and ship. Anyway we missed the express and sent it First Class (the first amd last time this has ever happened, as we now have fixed any loophole we had in our procedure.) Anyway the customer called Tuesday to get his tracking number as was leaving for a trip on Wednesday. His response was less than enthusiastic as I told him we goofed and he told me his situation.
Anyone who has dealt with us about upcoming trips knows there is nothing we hate worse than to screw up trips, something must remain sacred in this throw away society, and I can think of nothing more sacred than your upcoming fly fishing trip.
Desparate for a solution I asked if we could ship it to his hotel, but he was camping. I asked if a buddy would be joining him, perhaps leaving a day later, we could ship there, nope they were all leaving together. I asked him if he was going anywhere close to a town, he told me Lake George, Colorado. I told him to give me 15 minutes. Googling their Post Office, thank goodness the town of 500 had one, I talked to Karen told her my predicament, and asked if I could Express mail a package to her for General Delivery. She said of course. I called the customer back, told him my brilliant solution, he still seemed skeptical, but thought it was worth a shot, said he would be going through there about noon Thursday. Looking at my watch it was 3:30 pm, I went back and helped the shipping crew (something they just as soon I never did) get the order together, and then ran it down to the Post office at 3:58.
Just checked the USPS website the package arrived at 9:00 a.m. three hours to spare. Nobody is perfect including Big Y Fly Co. and the USPS, but in this case they came through when they needed to. And I kind of think we did too, although if we had it done it right the first time, we all could have slept better last night.
Anyone who has dealt with us about upcoming trips knows there is nothing we hate worse than to screw up trips, something must remain sacred in this throw away society, and I can think of nothing more sacred than your upcoming fly fishing trip.
Desparate for a solution I asked if we could ship it to his hotel, but he was camping. I asked if a buddy would be joining him, perhaps leaving a day later, we could ship there, nope they were all leaving together. I asked him if he was going anywhere close to a town, he told me Lake George, Colorado. I told him to give me 15 minutes. Googling their Post Office, thank goodness the town of 500 had one, I talked to Karen told her my predicament, and asked if I could Express mail a package to her for General Delivery. She said of course. I called the customer back, told him my brilliant solution, he still seemed skeptical, but thought it was worth a shot, said he would be going through there about noon Thursday. Looking at my watch it was 3:30 pm, I went back and helped the shipping crew (something they just as soon I never did) get the order together, and then ran it down to the Post office at 3:58.
Just checked the USPS website the package arrived at 9:00 a.m. three hours to spare. Nobody is perfect including Big Y Fly Co. and the USPS, but in this case they came through when they needed to. And I kind of think we did too, although if we had it done it right the first time, we all could have slept better last night.